Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Just like riding a bike?

"Just like riding a bike" is a phrase meaning that it is something you never forget how to do. Well I am here to say that that is just not true. Today I got on a bike for the first time since high school which was about 3/4 years ago and it didn't go so well. Yes, I know how to ride a bike but that doesn't mean that you won't get hurt. Riding a bike is simple right, I mean you peddle, steer, and use the hand breaks when you want to stop, so what is so hard about getting on a bike after some time off? Well, just because you remember the logistics of ridding a bike doesn't mean you won't fall off. As I rode the bike I found difficulty in turning corners while holding the break so I didn't go to fast or tip over. The balancing is much more difficult than I remembered and the stopping just as hard. So yes, I ended up falling down and getting a nice little cut and bruise but I got back up and tried again.

As I was riding my bike it reminded me of how relationships work. Simple right, two people like each other so they spend time together and if they like each other enough and long enough they get married and have kids. Ok, hit the breaks! For anyone who has been in a relationship knows it is SO not easy. There are balancing acts that one must do between the relationship, friends, family, school/work, ect without "falling off." Each relationship is different just like each bike is different. You have to get use to how the breaks work and how the bike turns on curves to be able to ride it steady without getting hurt. The same applies to relationships, you have to know how the other partner does things in order to make things work. And if you end up falling off the bike and getting your heart broken, there are tons of other bikes out there, who knows the next one could be the right fit and run perfectly smooth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment